Monday, February 20, 2012

Waterloo part 3

Paul responded well by cobbling together a strong line behind the ridge.
I sent forward a formidable combined-arms attack, and both lines clashed with an immense ferocity.
The Brunswickers and Hanovarian Landwehr units fought like lions with support from British Heavy Dragoons and Dutch Hussars, and Horse artillery, and my attack was beaten back.

Now the pressure from the Prussians started to exert itself again. I was tempted to fall back to reorganize again, but realized that if I did, I might never regain the initiative, and would be ground down by superior numbers. Instead, I gambled with an 'Out of Ammunition' card, which allows me to move any five units, but afterward I must remove 2 artillery units from the battle.

I moved my weakened cavalry forward again against the British right flank, supported by what was left of my infantry, and drove them back.  When Paul tried to counter with 2 fresh units of British infantry from his center, my Chasseurs heroically shot them down and forced them back as well.

A half broken line of weakened militia grade infantry and Dutch cavalry clung to the edge of the battlefield. I knew that one more push could drive them off and break the British army's morale.  The infantry went forward once again with the skeletal remains of my heavy cavalry supporting it's attack.
The only fresh unit of infantry in that part of the field was French, and it marched to within 30 yards of the Brunswickers' square and fired...


As the Brunswickers fled the field, they swept Wellington along with them and all cohesion went out of the British/ Allied force in that sector of the battlefield. The stream of retreating men soon became a raging torrent as the realization that the battle was lost spread from the broken British right to their center and then on to the left.  Soon, the Prussians saw that they stood alone on the field, and tried to retreat back from where they came.  Unfortunately Grouchy had been victorious at Wavre and they had no escape route. Those that did not flee, were soon rounded up.

Napoleon marched his victorious army into Brussels the next day.
Paul texting about the game...Not sure his wife really cares, but who else is going to give him comfort?

6 comments:

  1. The final tally in lost units was Paul: 12, Glenn: 5

    ReplyDelete
  2. The basing scheme looks interesting. It looks like the French were a stand of four and four stands of 1. Not sure how that fits in with the current CCN rules.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The front part of the Infantry stands are permanent, and the back row holds the four removable strength points, so Infantry have 5 strength (can be 6 if they have a skirmisher attached); Cavalry have 4 strength points, and artillery have 3.

    These are my homebrew rules that I created before C&C: N was published. I just couldn't wait, so I took a shot at designing my own rules in 2009. They actually work great. Some aspects are very similar to what Borg came up with, but there are several differences: such as units do not lose attack dice as they lose strength points, and my rules have a built-in combined arms incentive rather than the adding artillery to infantry fire mechanic. My squaring rules are also VERY different, and I think better.

    I created them using C&C: Ancients as the starting point

    ReplyDelete
  4. A nice report, I'll now go back and start from the beginning!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...
      I never seem to be able to get multiple posts ordered correctly so the reader can start at the beginning of the story.

      Delete