Monday, May 11, 2020

First Full Unit: Prussian 8th Hussars

I've been doing one-off figures up until now, but finally decided that it was time to do an entire unit.
I chose the 8th Prussian Hussars because they were one of the first Prussian units to arrive on the Waterloo battlefield. "They covered the advance on Plancenoit, and at one point were called upon to charge French skirmishers that had strayed too far east of the village." ( - Waterloo Companion by Mark Adkin)

My Cavalry stands will each have 3 cavalry figures, and will represent roughly 250 horsemen.
The 8th Hussars had a strength of 450 when it arrived at Waterloo, so I painted two stands as the 8th.

I used the Del Prado Prussian Hussar (PIR 57) figure for the 5 troopers, and the Del Prado (PIR 56) for the Prussian Hussar Officer. These figures were originally painted in green, but the 8th Hussars had a Dark Blue Pelisse and Dolman with light blue facings and White Lace.






I am realizing that I will have to re-paint pretty much every cavalry figure that I want to use in my armies. The Del Prado figures, even those Mint-in-Box, have aged noticeably: Many have cracking paint, broken parts, and faded colors. This is going to be a large renovation project.


No comments:

Post a Comment